Monday, August 24, 2009

You're my best friend...

Who sings that song? Now it's in my head... wish I knew how to embed a tune into a blog post!

So Erica is actually excited about going back to school this year. What a difference a year makes!! Last year - transition to kindergarten - I'm sure mom's stress about it was noted and transferred to daughter, to some extent. She cried every night about having to go. She cried many mornings about having to go. By the end of the year, she was totally OK with it. Last night she had a hard time getting to sleep. She called me into her room around 9:30 and asked, "Mom - is school tomorrow?" I said "no, in 3 more days. Are you excited?" She said "yes." I thought, "praise the Lord!"

Tonight we were talking about what we need to do tomorrow to be ready for school on Wednesday. I reminded her about her kindergarten friends who will be in her first grade class (only four of them - I thought there would be more). She thought about her friends for a while, and then said, "Mom - you're my best friend in the whole wide world." I said "I'm very honored to be your best friend" and then I had two immediate thoughts: 1) how long will this last? how old will she be when she wants nothing to do with me? and 2) how I hope she one day finds someone *else* to be her best friend in the whole wide world!

4 comments:

Jim Brochowski said...

Aw - what a cool Mother & Daughter moment, and a very insightful reflection. Very nice.

Song is by Harry Nilsson.

People let me tell you 'bout my best friend,
He's a warm hearted person who'll love me till the end.
People let me tell you bout my best friend,
He's a one boy cuddly toy, my up, my down, my pride and joy.

People let me tell you 'bout him he's so much fun
Whether we're talkin' man to man or whether we're talking son to son.
Cause he's my best friend.
Yes he's my best friend.

Windsor Castle said...

Lynne,
I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I found you on the CP parent list and I do indeed blog. However, my blog isn't really a special needs dedicated site. It is more a tool to keep in touch with my family mainly who happens to be scattered across the globe and therefor my blog is bilingual. I do have a few comments and pictures of my very special Hannah (9) who was diagnosed with spastic quad cp at 8 months....she was a super preemie 29 weeker. If you want to meet her take a peak in www.windsorcastlevt.blogspot.com March 09 (Celebrate the Arts), May 09 (Inclusion) and also in May (Listening discretion advised). If you don't mind I will check in from time to time but my comments will be much shorter next time =)
Greetings
Karolina

PS I did take the summer off from blogging but will start back up by the end of the week.

Michelle said...

I think Emily is excited to go to school also. This time its high school and I know (although she doesn't talk) that she like to look at the boys!
:)
How long will the best friend last??? Well I have an 8 yr old who swares it will be forever. Emily however has her days. She is 14 and I'm pretty sure on some days I'm NOT her best friend.

Cat Herself said...

I see my own relationship with Si morphing over the years, just like mine has with my own parents. Are they my best friends? Not really . . . but are they 2 of the most important and influential people in my life and do I love them more than I love my own self? You betcha!

As my son enters into his High School years, I just pray that he knows that he truly can count on me to love him more than judge him, and that he can talk to me about anything. I'm also glad, though, that there are some good, strong men who are not related to us in his life who are good role-models for him . . . for those times when he just wants to do anything that Mom and Dad haven't done . . . ya know?