Wednesday, August 3, 2011

puppet show :)

When Kelly arrived this week I asked and received answers to all my questions about various things in the classroom. She also let me look at Erica's file, which contains her application to the program, the initial evaluation by the conductors (extremely detailed and perceptive, I must say), and the goals written for this class session along with a lesson plan detailing tasks she will be assigned to achieve progress toward those goals. It is a little different than what we've done in the past, but I am impressed with the attention to detail in the file and noted that all the goals I mentioned in the application were included.

I have to admit that as the days go by, Erica's walking looks better and better. At the start of week one, two conductors were supporting her at upper and lower arms AND using their feet to anchor hers to prevent the "two foot hop," as we like to call it.Yesterday she exited the classroom with only one conductor giving her support and only at the lower arms. She also walked out the door, past her waiting chair and into the lobby just to show off. :) I am impressed. PTs have gotten this level of achievement out of her before, but not consistently and only after working with her for longer. So, once again, we'll see where this leads.

I was under the impression that toilet training would be a big focus, and I was interested to see if that would lead to any progress. But they haven't tried it that I can tell. I'm not surprised - they do so many things already that it would seriously slow them down in other areas. This, of course, is why we don't spend our days at home focusing on it. She might be further along if I ever got it in my head to have a toileting boot camp at home, to the exclusion of all else. But other things always seem to get top priority. She does well at school, where it is worked into her daily routine.

Today Erica didn't want to come to CE, and had quite a meltdown at the door going in. But after a bit she was fine, and now I hear giggles of delight from her in the room as the conductors are using puppets today to work on various concepts and to praise the students when they work extra hard or complete a task. One student, I'm told, is not a fan of puppets but is taking his cues from the girls and therefore OK with it. They are really doing it up, with funny voices and making fun of the conductors which the kids are really loving, of course!

No comments: